Friday, March 21, 2014

Asparagus Staging

When I first started playing Kerbal Space Program, well before they implemented career mode, all there was to do was to play in the sandbox.  That was perfectly fine and I spent days trying to build capable rockets.  I had heard about asparagus staging, but I knew so little that I wasn't even at the level to comprehend and try another building style.  You see, my rockets were shit.  Some would say they still are, but they work for some reason.  Asparagus staging works in KSP because it allows you to ditch more weight earlier in the launch.  
Gravity is strongest and the atmosphere is thickest at sea level.  So reducing weight and drag earlier is good and keeping thrust to weight higher is best.

There isn't really a limit to how many tanks your set up in asparagus staging.  I have seen some pretty crazy designs that ditch tanks almost the entire flight up to low Kerbin orbit.  It takes a large toll on your system though.  Here is an basic example of how it works.


No comments:

Post a Comment