Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Stranded, but not Alone: Part 1

In one of my earlier video series, I managed to strand Kerbals on the Mun.  It was okay though.  That is what "rescue missions" are for.  I did succeed and stranding more Kerbals on the Mun.  Wait....That's not what I intended.  Again, it's okay.  That's what Kerbal Attachment System was for.  I turned a route into a victory buy building my first Mun base.  What I had intended was to gather science for my fledgling space program.  What happened was nothing short of disaster.  My capsule lander made it to the Mun, landed safely on the surface and proceeded to gather science.  I did some crew reports, EVA's, samples and used various science equipment.  Once I was finished, I lifted off for my return to Kerbin.  I knew I was tight on fuel, but I didn't know that I didn't have enough to orbit the Mun and then transfer.  I should have waited until my launch phase angle was right.  I might have been able to salvage the mission.  Instead, I pushed the issue, launched and then re-landed near a large crater.  

Instead of losing one of my best Kerbalnaughts, I decided to launch an ad-hoc rescue mission with an empty capsule and probe body on a very simple rocket.  I brought out extra life support because I was using TAC Life Support.  The Kerbal was running out and I wanted to make sure we had enough life support to sustain the return voyage.  If all went to shit, I would have enough life support to move the Kerbal over (assuming the rocket didn't explode) and cobble together another rescue mission. 

Well...Things didn't quite go as planned.  I was able to land the rocket within meters of the downed capsule but the rocket toppled over at the last second.  Mission: Failed!  I was able to enter the capsule, so I had another week of life support on top of the few days I had stored away in the 1st capsule.  Time was of the essence.  We needed to do something.  Instead of sending rockets I made an executive decision and decided to make a Mun base.  



Stay tuned for Part 2 and as always, fly safe-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment