Friday, March 14, 2014

Beginnings

I have been playing KSP in February of 2013. I happened to catch a glimpse of it on Steam and I fell in love with the idea and concept. When I went out on a limb and purchased it for (I think 14 bucks) there was instant gratification. Squad has done an excellent job and even though it is still an early release title, it was playable, stable and highly addictive. I spent literally 10-15 hours a day playing it. I was out for a few months due to a surgery, so KSP and EVE Online got me through the doldrums of sitting, locked away in my house all that time. Without it, I would have gone insane. You can only watch so much TV before your mind melts. At least with KSP, my mind was stimulated and I found the challenge of KSP both intensely frustrating and highly invigorating.

I remember the first hurdle was getting a craft into orbit. I didn't know how to make a circular elliptical orbit. It took me hours just to get a rocket into near Kerbin orbit. I'm no rocket scientist. I thought going straight up into space was the "best" way. I quickly found out that my ignorance of orbital mechanics was holding me back. I scoured the web and that is were I found Scott Manley.  If you are a gamer or an amateur scientist I would highly recommend you check out his stuff.

The next hurdle was performing a rendezcvous in orbit. That one had me stumped for a long time. Again, Scott's video tutorials helped me out.  They may not have elevated all my frustrations, but they did give me a good set of fundamentals. After the rendezvous, the next hurdle was docking. That was horrific. I played for hours and hours to try to dock. It was brutal. I fancy myself as a veteran player now, but even up until about 4 months ago, I was still docking the hard way. One of my YouTube views pointed it out to me and I thought "Of Course!". It was an ah-ha moment for sure.

If you are new to KSP, check out my YouTube channel as well as Scott's and it will give you hope.  Yes, it can be done.  Scott makes it look really easy of course.  I'm a bit more of a laymen.  Maybe that is a good thing.  

I re-sinstalled KSP back to vanilla and I added a few mods back in.  I will be redoing my career hard-mode as a continuous series.  I am just waiting for the next update.  

Check back soon and as always, Fly Safe-ish..

No comments:

Post a Comment