Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mod Highlight: Kerbal Alarm Clock

Have you ever missed a burn or shot past your Munar encounter due to using time acceleration?  I am willing to bet you have.  I know I have done it.  It is frustrating at best.  If you didn't quick save, you could be restarting your entire mission from Kerbal Space Command.  If you were doing a tour of Jool and it's moons, you could have potentially wasted hours of careful planning, perfectly timed burns and a whole lot of luck.  There is a solution however.  In this Mod Highlight, 

I bring you Kerbal Alarm Clock (KAC).  With this handy mod, you can set up alarms for various rockets such as "time to maneuver node", "time to closest approach" or "time to sphere of influence change".  You can also set alarms for transfer windows, periapsis, etc.  Very handy indeed.  You can set your time acceleration to max and KAC will automatically slow down time until you reach your desired warning time (default is 1 minute I think).  I set mine to 10 seconds and if I have a particularly long burn, I set it to half of the burn time.  As far as I am concerned, this is a must have.  Besides, if you were flying a rocket in the real world, someone or something would be telling you when you needed to perform a burn.  It's not even cheating!  Your alarms are set per the rocket so you can launch your Duna rocket a year early, set up an alarm for the best transfer window and then go about launching other rockets.  When your time comes up, KAC will ask you to transfer to the Duna rocket and then you can continue on mission.  This mod is highly useful and versatile.  That is why it is among my favorites.


 
Check it out and as always, fly safe-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment